Thursday, February 19, 2009

My Pittsburgh Problem

Well, I will respond to Blake's desire to have another blog from me. I've had a bunch in the hopper recently (like when I met the comic Larry Miller...)but I find that after spending 8 hours a day at work in front of a computer, the last thing I want to do when I get home is type more. I started a new shift at work this week, working from 8:30-4:30, so I have to catch the 7:27 bus to make it on time. This means that I'm at work between 7:45 and 8...so maybe I'll have time to blog in the mornings.

Anyway, I've been living on Mt. Washington for almost 8 months now; in fact, my lease runs out at the end of June at my current place. Recently I've been thinking of whether I want to move or stay where I am, and I'm thinking of moving for many reasons, the least of which is I can save some money. It's like an artificial raise; I pay X for my apartment, then I move somewhere that's, say, $50 cheaper a month. All of a sudden, I'm paying X-50 and saving $600/year...that's a raise! So this is one consideration. The most important consideration, though, is what is referenced ominously in the blog title. It's not what you think though. My Pittsburgh problem is that I love this city so much, and I love so many areas of it, and I think that so many places would be fun to live for various different reasons. So, when looking at apartments, I have a hard time deciding where I want to look and I end up looking at all of them. I could see myself living in at least 7 different Pittsburgh neighborhoods. Let's look at the list:

1. Mt. Washington - obviously my current place of residence. I love the commute from up here, at least to work, having the choice of a bus that is 20 yards from my door, or the incline. The views are great, and its centrally located - I can get to the airport, Monroeville, Gibsonia, Cranberry, and down 51 all pretty quickly. On the downside, it's a tough place to live in the snow when the roads get bad. Ultimately, if I stayed on Mt Washington, I think I'd strongly consider moving to the other side.

2. Northside - There are various neighborhoods over here that I would consider but I'll place them under the "northside" umbrella. I love this idea because it's walking distance to PNC Park (I'm a first time Pirates season ticket holder this year) and it could be walking distance to work as well, at least when its nice out. The bad part is that the Northside is maybe the most "dangerous" neighborhood I'm considering (dangerous for Pittsburgh, that is).

3. Southside - It's probably tied for the most expensive place that I'm looking. However, when I imagine city living, Carson Street is what I imagine. I think of waking up on Saturday mornings and walking down to the corner to get breakfast or coffee and a paper. I imagine going out on Friday night, being able to walk to bars and clubs, and being able to come and go as I please. I imagine being able to get all different types of ethnic foods in a matter of minutes. I love the Southside and would love to live here.

4. Squirrel Hill - The other expensive place I am looking at. Murray Avenue has the same sort of feel as Carson St, without all of the young people. Still, it's a cool neighborhood with many of the things I'm looking for. Downside is that I don't want to move to the east of downtown, it's by far the worst way to get where I need to go. Of course, I'd take the bus, but still...

5. Brookline - The "T" (subway) has a line through Brookline, which is one of the main reasons I like it. It has the feel of the suburbs while being in the city, which is a good and bad thing.

6. Beechview - Another neighborhood that has a "T" line running through it. That's really the only reason I'm considering it.

7. Bloomfield/Lawrenceville - While these are two distinct neighborhoods, I will condense them because they are beside each other. Lawrenceville has the reputation of being where all the artists are moving, so I'd like to stay away from there. But I love Bloomfield, Pittsburgh's Little Italy. It has a great "Carson St" street that runs through it, the section of Liberty Ave. When I originally thought of living in the city, Bloomfield is what I had my heart set on. I will continue to look here as one of my primary options.

So those are my choices right now. I have started the process. Any feedback? What am I forgetting to consider? I know one thing I didn't originally consider was the title of my blog... Josh in Brookline doesn't have the same ring. Anyway, I welcome any thoughts that you may have.

3 comments:

Blake said...

Thanks for the post. I think the bloomfield/Lawrenceville area would be great to live. They have a good food scene and it's easy to get to. Northside wouldn't be bad, but I would stay away from Federal Street and the Mexican War Streets. There are a decent amount of shootings there. I'm not sure how far Regent Square would be for your work commute, but have you considered it. It's pretty hip. Also, I heard Morningside isnt too bad either.

Josh said...

Yeah, one of my coworkers lives in Regent Square and she loves it. It's out east though...

Morningside/Highland Park I like a lot as well. Didn't include them.

WeddObsessed said...

The biggest concern of all...

your blog couldn't be named Josh on Mt Wash....