Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Favorite Things: American Idol Edition

Well, the season 8 premiere just finished, and I have to admit, I will be hooked again to this show for at least the next 6 weeks or so. This favorite things edition precedes my favorite things about winter. You may ask this question: why? Well, I just can't come up with many things I like about winter. I mean, consider this: $200 gas bills to heat your apartment to 55 degrees, standing at the bus stop in 20 degrees, cold/flu season, cold floors with no socks in the morning, frozen nose hairs, having to warm up your car for 8 minutes...what is there to like? I suppose a few things. One of them is American Idol, which led me to this, the favorite things of Idol.

1. The auditions - I love the first few episodes because of the great mix of hysterical performers and good performers. There are certainly things you could get annoyed about, like how it seems the producers pick out their favorites and push them every year. Just let the cards fall! But, I like to see the start of the journey; therefore, I like the audition rounds.

2. Hollywood Week - this is the best part of the show. I love the drama that the pressure creates. I love the teenage girls that get into catfights because they are divas and prima donnas and they don't want other people screwing it up for them.

3. The Room Selection - I don't think they even did this last year, but by this I'm referring to the fact that they put Hollywooders into four hotel rooms and select entire rooms to continue on in the process. Who doesn't love to sit there and say, well this room is going home because of X, or that room...how did A and B end up in the same room?

4. Democracy - nobody can ever complain about who wins this contest, because you can influence it. OK, like most democracy, it's not pure; the producer problem discussed earlier comes to mind with this (they influence the "election" process, they are the media of the show). But, lots of people cast lots of votes for Idol; I am not ashamed to say that I have cast many votes before (usually for the cute girls).

5. The Sex Appeal - C'mon, we need more hot girls to look at every year. I need the sex appeal factor to be way up there this year. Need more Kellie Pickler's and fewer Gina Glocksen's.

6. Mike Slezak's reviews on EW.com - So Slezak reviews every show and he does a great job, DVR-ing, catching names and places, making sure to watch and re-watch...it's a great review. I don't have exactly the tastes that he has, but that's ok.

7. Elliott Yamin - still the best singer to be on the show since I've paid attention. I also was a big fan of Blake Lewis and his creativity.

8. The Opening - This...is American Idol. Classic. Gives me goosebumps, especially like tonight during the season opener.

9. Feel good stories - there are always people whose parents have died, or have cancer, or whatever else (kids involved is a plus). Tonight we saw the blind guy. Of course I'm rooting for Blind Guy; I love Blind Guy.

10. The Weirdos - For those who have ever been to a Curry family function, you'll understand. I like the confirmation that there are weirder people out there than my family, and I think this is universal. Like tonight, the Deep Voice Guy. High comedy at its finest.

11. Seacrest - My friend Colin swears he's gay; he points to tonight, when Bikini Girl wanted to make out with him and he was reticent. I think he's not gay, just very professional. He's a great host, I love his corny jokes, and I love his hilarious jokes. He gets good zingers in on Cowell too.

Well, those are some of my favorite things about the show. What are some of yours? Do you even watch?

1 comment:

L said...

I like Blind Guy, too! I told my sister that even though he's not the best singer, I'd love to see him go far in the competition. I guess I should probably learn his name. :-)