Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Vacation Destination: San Diego

Well, Saturday morning I am leaving for a mini-vacation to the paradise of San Diego. I am leaving early Saturday from Pittsburgh, layover in Denver (where I'll watch the Pitt Panthers), then arrive in San Diego around noon local time. The purpose of the trip is to catch baseball games at Petco Park in San Diego and Edison Field in Anaheim. The Bucs are in San Diego this weekend, which is an added bonus.

This gets me to another list: the list of MLB stadiums I have graced with my presence. My buddy Moz and I are having a contest to see who can get to all active stadiums first. This means that, if they tear the building down or stop playing there, it no longer counts. So, this offseason both Sean and I will be losing Yankee and Shea Stadiums in NYC. Therefore, here is my updated list as of today, in order from worst to best:

11. Metrodome (Minneapolis) - I liked it but there is no denying it's a dinosaur. It will be discontinued for baseball use in the very near future.

10. Turner Field (Atlanta) - This is the old 1996 Olympic stadium that was converted to the Braves park. Nothing very significant about it.

9. Great American BallPark (Cincinnati) - I got a kidney stone when I was in Cincy for some Bucs games a few years ago. Maybe that taints my memories a bit.

8. Comerica Park (Detroit) - There is just nothing very memorable about this stadium. Ford Field is right next to it, and that's cool...does that count?

7. Citizens Bank Park (Philadelphia) - Red brick...original.

6. New Busch Stadium (St. Louis) - see #8.

5. Nationals Park (Washington DC) - This stadium is meant to fit in with the DC architecture and look like a monument. Success!

4. Wrigley Field (Chicago) - The classic, one of only two left. It's so historic that it's hard not to feel overwhelmed when you first see the diamond. Bonus points to Wrigleyville.

3. Progressive Field (Cleveland) - One of the few good things about the town, this is one of the original "new" parks. Great location downtown.

2. Camden Yards (Baltimore) - This is a great park. The warehouse and walkway that extends from right to center field is a must visit for fans. There aren't bad seats in the place, either.

1. PNC Park (Pittsburgh) - Some things never change. I'm biased, but the architecture, the views...if someone could put a good baseball team in there, it could be magical.

So that's the list. I am planning (coincidentally with Moz) a trip next June where we will hit Phoenix, San Diego, Anaheim, LA, San Fran and Oakland on a 9 day adventure all over the West Coast. That will add at least 4 stadiums to my list. Exciting!

1 comment:

Charissa said...

When you plan on going to Safeco Field, let Chad and I know in advance and maybe we'll come with you! Seattle is my favorite city! Plus Chad's parents are just a few hours away. We'll take you around the city it's amazing!