Tuesday, September 30, 2008

My Favorite Things: Fall Edition

Well, I am sitting at a bar in the San Diego International Airport. I am on my way home; although my flight doesn't get in Pittsburgh until 9:30 tonight (I fly through San Fran). Being in the perpetual summer weather of SoCal, it has made me appreciate fall (as if I didn't already). That, plus being on the precipice of the second best month of the year (see below)...well, I thought it was time to reveal my favorite things of the fall.

1. Fall weather - the weather and I are a good match. While I love it hot, I love it cool too (not cold, mind you). October weather is fantastic. I love stepping out of the house and feeling totally comfortable in a hooded sweatshirt.

2. Fall smells - bonfires, apple cider, just the general smell you get while walking outside. It's a little bit of freshly cut grass but more with the bonfires.

3. Fall baseball - this is thoroughly mined territory for my readers and me. I love baseball, I love the Pirates, fall baseball and the Pirates haven't gone together for 16 years now. But it is still magical to see the passion and the fire in these games. I long for the days when it will matter in Pittsburgh again; this is a good fix until it does. Plus, the drama of ending a game with one swing is just something that other sports cannot match.

4. High school football - wearing a hoodie, driving to the stadium with the sun going down, high school bands...it's a great tradition in Western PA. High school football brings back so many memories for me (remember, I was voted the class of '99's "Rams biggest fan"!). Even when I don't know the participants, it brings a rush to watch kids play football on Friday nights.

5. College football Saturdays - High hopes for Pitt this year, so there is more stress involved. But I love waking up, watching GameDay, then scanning to see what the best games of the day are.

6. NFL - Steelers. Need I say more?

7. Holiday season - the holiday season begins in earnest around Halloween.

8. Bonfires - I hit my pyro phase much later than most boys/men. I love fire, even at the age of 27 (I was never fascinated by it as a child, being so practical and cautious as to stay away for fear of my safety). Bonfires are obviously the most healthy, large-scale manifestation of fire in which one can partake. So I'll take it.

9. Darkness - I love when it's dark at 5pm! I may be the only person in the world. But it's such a peace to be out in the darkness. Added bonus for starry nights in any season.

10. College hoops - Pitt basketball being my 1A love to the Bucs, this needs to explanation. Obviously I count on this team to carry me through the dregs of post-holiday winter, but it's a fun appetizer for October through December.

11. Fall movies - after the summer movie season, full of popcorn movies, September is really lame. Then, October brings about the holiday movie season, which extends into January sometimes. Fall movies are great. Lots of arty movies, movies that directors and studios think deserve Oscar consideration. Lots of interesting fare, and this fall is no different.

Well, that's just a sampling of the reasons that I love fall. It's probably my favorite season! Even if its not yours, I wonder what you love about the season. Why don't you tell me?!?

4 comments:

Charissa said...

I would add the fall colors, pumpkins, hot chocolate, and this year I will add the birthday of my son to the list of the awesomeness of fall!

HB said...

Sneakers, jeans, and a hoodie. PERFECT. I also love pumpkins, cornstalks, and bales of hay.

HB said...

Oh... and the pumpkin spice lattes from Starbucks.

B.W. said...

you need a new post....


and we are all wondering who you are voting for.

and do you want to go to club cafe to hear a band tomorrow nigh?