Sunday, November 16, 2008

Considering the 44th American Presidency

So, this is question that I've been pondering recently. I know I will be able to give this President-elect a chance at governing. The question is, what does he have to accomplish in his (first) four years in order for me to consider his administration a success. I will choose three things that I want to be done:

1. Getting us out of Iraq - I'm not anti-war, and I will admit that I was for this war at the beginning. However, the conduct of the war has been embarrassing; it's the overriding reason that this current President is hated as much as he is. We need to get out of Iraq; there really isn't debate about this. Now, of course we want to "win", although I'm not sure how that's measured. Anyway, in four years we need to be out of Iraq and the world needs to be a safer place. President-elect Obama originally planned on having our troops pulled in 16 months; I'll give him 48.

2. Health coverage for all - another reason that he was successful in beating John McCain was because of his willingness to discuss the horrible situation our healthcare industry is in. He wants to nationalize insurance coverage, which to me is different than socializing medicine. Nationalizing coverage means that every citizen will be enrolled in some type of insurance program. If you get it through work, great! Not much will change. If you don't, you can get it through the government. The beauty of a government run system is twofold: it cuts down on the overhead and red-tape that exists in the current private insurance system, and it eliminates the "pre-existing condition" that keeps many from receiving the care that they need. Isn't it strange that a government run health insurance program would cut down on red tape? It's true, though you conservatives may not want to believe it. Do some real research about the situation in Canada, and you will see this as one conclusion that can be drawn about a nationalized insurance system.

3. Expansion of the middle class - This is a catchall that encompasses everything that needs to be done to grow the middle class. Healthcare is a part of this, as is better energy, lower taxes on the middle class, more fairness in the union election process, and many other issues. The middle class has been shrinking and struggling for a long time in the U.S., through both Democratic and Republican presidents. It's time that the middle class started to be the focus of the White House and Congress. I have hope that this will happen under this administration.

So, those are my three things. Now, I will open it up to you to list the three things that you'd like to see this President do in order to be successful in your mind. One caveat, there can be no discussion of the life issue. He's not on our side on the issue of life, and we know this. Broaden your mind to get past this. Coming later this week, I am going to post an outline of my perception of where the life movement needs to head during the next four years with what will be a hostile administration to our cause. For now, consider this question without the issue of life in its context.

1 comment:

Patty said...

These are short term:
1. I would like to see him pick a truly new and bipartisan cabinet that works together for the good of all. I don't think that's going to happen since so far he is picking Clinton people and those to whom he owes favors.
2. I would love accountability to be the #1 priority for anyone that is given bail out money.
3. I would love to see him appoint Josh as the faith-based initative czar since Josh applied and would be really good at it!