Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Mission: Obsession

So, if you happen to be a college football fan, you may know that Texas Tech is in the top 2 in the country. What you may not know is that their head coach, Mike Leach, is certafiably eccentric, and its great! He has given me the desire to try what he does.

Every year, he picks one topic. That topic is the topic that he reads about and obsesses over all year. One year, he chose to obsess over pirates (swashbucklers). It became a lifelong obsession of his. He has delivered a 3 hour lecture on pirates and how they band together to his football team. He has an extensive collection of pirate flags and other paraphenalia. He loves pirates.

Anyway, I want to do this. Starting in January 09, I will pick something to obsess over and learn everything possible about. The only books I read in 09 will be about this topic. So why am I blogging about this? I want to ask for your help in choosing a subject. Give me some ideas! What can I obsess about? A few things that are off limits: sports, American politics...that's about it. Everything else is fair game. I'm thinking something along the lines of: poetry from a certain era, or some type of classical music, maybe architecture, maybe a war, maybe a civilization (like the Ottomans), maybe the history of the Roman Catholic papacy, maybe the Reformation...there are so many options!

What do you think I should obsess over in 2009?

9 comments:

WeddObsessed said...

The girl on the bus.

Josh said...

Boooooooooo. Bad answer.

Patty said...

The girl on the bus blog got seven comments! This is unprecedented! You clearly have shaken up the blogging world!

Patty said...

I think the Reformation would be a great thing to obsess over.

HB said...

1. Jesus
2. The girl on the bus
3. Beethoven (life and music)

Josh said...

I am going to boo Heather's suggestion of Jesus. Before I am thrust toward the gates of Hell, let me explain. We all should be "obsessed" in a sense with Jesus, and it's not a yearly project. It's a lifelong quest. In fact, it's a journey, it's not a destination (thanks Aerosmith). So we all should do this.

Blake said...

Now that I work for a Catholic Institution, I vote for some facet of the Roman catholic Church. I would be very interested in a blog or two about that.

Blake said...

Oh, or a in-depth look at the history of hip hop music and its effect on professional sports.

Charissa said...

The Life of Christ or The Pauline Epistles.

I can recommend several books on these topics.

The Reformation is a great topic as well. Oh or any religion, like Buddhism would be interesting as well. I can recommend books on world religions as well.